5.12.2009

tulip

It's possible that I am incredibly dense.

A few days ago, I was bustling around my parent's house trying to pack every that I want from home up for my move to my first off-campus, not-shared-with-parents place. The whole thing is quite exciting to me, so I was already in a pretty fantastic mood, when I looked out the window and saw this pretty little tulip. At least, I'm pretty darn sure it's a tulip, but I could be wrong. I appear to be pretty ignorant about flowers.

For example: I assumed that the reason this tulip wasn't all open and smiling at me was because it was simply too early in spring for it to do so. Makes sense, right? It takes flowers a little time to grow up. I just figured a bit more time and soon it would be smiling all the time.

The next day, I looked outside again. Only this time, it was earlier in the day, when the sun was higher in the sky and hitting the little tulip. And whattya know, it's smiling! All bright and shiny and perky. And then I realize...oh. Some flowers do that. They close up in the shade at night and open up when the sun hits them. They are living creatures, after all, they can move. Right. Right-o.

However, when I noticed this, I was a little preoccupied with other things, so I didn't take the time to get a picture. You'll have to settle with the pretty little closed tulip.

No comments:

Post a Comment