This morning I was eating my usual breakfast of Special K cereal in milk exactly the way I always do, preztel-legged on my bed with my computer in front of me, when my roommate walked in to chat about the attractive police officer that she's been flirting with. Apparently the distraction of her in the room while I was eating was too much for me, because I managed to drop my bowl.

Right on my keyboard.

Um...AHHHH! My roommate flew out of the room to get paper toweling while I picked up my now-shutting-down computer and tried to shake the milk out of it. We got it pretty clean and took my sheets off my bed...but when I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't work. So I did whatever I do when something major happens and I don't know how to respond. I called my mom.

me :: "Mom. I did a bad thing."

mom :: "Okay..."

me :: (speaking at a lightning fast pace) "I spilled milk all over my computer and now when I try to turn it on nothing happens and one of my seniors ordered pictures this morning and all her pictures are on that computer and I just need it to work!"

mom :: "Okay...why don't you call Dell and see what they recommend."

So I did. I called Dell. And I'm sorry, but I don't like Dell at all. You have to PAY to talk to a real person about a potential problem with your computer. It's not like I was asking them to FIX any damages. I just wanted to know what I should do in a situation where I happen to drop milk everywhere. I wanted to yell, "I don't know anything about computers. This is customer service. I bought a computer, I'm a customer. HELP ME." But a lot of good that would've done me, yelling at the VOICE RECORDING. Grrr.

I called Mom back. She told me to call Bud, what we call my stepdad. Meanwhile, he started calling me, because Mom had already talked to him while I talked to Dell. He told me immediately to NOT try to turn it on and to unplug it.

Well, crap. I had just tried to turn it on like four times by that point. That couldn't be good. But I didn't mention this to my helpful stepfather, I just did as he said and thanked him for his help.

I rushed to get ready for work because I'd burned up a bit of time with the whole escapade, so I ignored my computer for a bit and packed up everything to go home after work and slapped on some make up and ran a brush through my hair. I wound up putting my computer, battery out, in the backseat where the sun would hit it and hopefully dry it out.

After work, I went out to my vehicle and changed. Yeah, in the backseat. Why I didn't just go inside and change, I don't really know, but whatever. I did go back in with my computer though, and set it up on a table in the back where the drivers take orders. One of the drivers was back there with me, and when I pressed the power button and my computer turned on I squealed and grabbed his arm jumping up and down I was so relieved to discover it worked.

Disaster was avoided. Except for a little stickiness with some keys, it works just fine. Thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment